Saturday 16 February 2013

Paint Box temporary hair dye by FUDGE

Whilst Manic Panic dye is popular in the states, as far as I'm aware there is only one place in Sydney that actually sells it, and it isn't exactly the cheapest thing either, although it isn't too bad (about $25 per colour). As an alternative Paint Box by FUDGE is a great temporary dye that washes out in 3-30 washes (I'm not kidding, that is what it says on the tubes) and works on most hair types. 
Like all peroxide-free hair dyes, it works better on lighter hair, but if you are like me and have very dark hair with a few honey/tiger coloured streaks, this product gives your hair colour in the sunshine and will turn those blond streaks in to streaks of vibrant colour. The tubes recommend that you leave the dye to sit in your hair for 15-30 minutes, but because of my hair colour, I leave mine for up to 45 minutes with my long hair pinned up on to the top of my head and two or more plastic disposable shower caps on my head to trap in heat which helps the dying process. You can also go ahead and dye certain segments of your hair like bangs and tips, but as a beauty tip - cover the bits of the surrounding hair that you don't want dyed with conditioner as it will stop the colour from bleeding, especially in lighter hair.
Whilst I go for reds/blues/purples, Paint Box makes an amazing range of colours and shades which can all be mixed with a special product called 'Whiter shade of pale' which is a thinning type paste that is similar to the colours so that they can be mixed and your ultimate colour achieved if you seek something different from their selection of 16 vibrant colours.

Goldfinger
Goldfinger is a great all over colour and slightly lightens darker hair or streaks, giving a shiny, almost gold colour. This is one of my favourites.
★/

Blue Velvet
Blue Velvet is one of Paint Box's richer tones and I love it, however whilst it looks great when it first goes on, after a wash or two, you may find that your hair goes a nasty green colour for quite some time, so be prepared to have to maintain this colour, or if it is just a once off colour for a party or night out, be ready with some permanent hair dye for the next day to cover the green and go back to your natural colour, but beware, you may, depending on your natural colour, need to bleach your hair to do this.
★/

Cherry Bomb
Cherry Bomb is a fantastic bright colour for summer fun. It gives a warm red glow to hair and doesn't look horrible as it fades out.
★/

Clockwork Orange
Is a TERRIBLE colour, this thing instead of dying my hair orange dyed it a sickly shade of blonde-in-the-swimming-pool green. NEVER AGAIN.
0/

Purple Haze
A nice warm tone for winter. In darker hair I found that it made blond streaks look more of a mauve colour than a true purple, it was still pretty though and faded out well.
★/

Pretty Flamingo
One of my favourite all over colours, when I use this one I usually do my entire head and I love the vibrant pink over the top of my blonde and the subtler shades of pink over the dark brown. For me, this is a colour that can not be beaten.
★/

Price: $19 from Priceline pharmacies and hair salons
Weight: 75mL per bottle
Range of colours: total 14 and one mixing colour ('whiter shade of pale')
colour last: semi-permianent (3-30 washes depending on hair type)
colour true to package: in most cases the end result is lighter or less bright when complete and hair is dry)

RATING: /★ (depending on the colour, beware oranges, greens and light blue)

No comments:

Post a Comment